Another month of swimming has gone by. I actually feel sorta sluggish as I haven't swam since Friday. I have a little bit of an ear infection so trying to stay dry. So I'm on a mini-break. I'm going back to swimming most likely tomorrow but we'll see. As for this past month I've swam a total of 39.350 yards. Well sort of. I did race one day at a Masters swim meet which was a 1,000 free, 200 fly and 200 back. Plus warming up and down. So add in another 2,400 yards. So 41,750 yards in the pool.
1. The very Wicked Local out of Marblehead, MA has a great letter "Swimming dad: ‘Thanks for the ride’…Four years ago, my son announced he was going to join the high school swim team. It was a bit of a surprise since he had not previously been enthusiastic about team sports, but we supported his decision. He started out with sometimes-awkward strokes and not the smoothest turns, but as the months and years passed, he grew not only as a swimmer but also as a man…" Read the full letter. It really makes us remember why we love our sport!
2. From the insanity files, The Telegraph reports "Goggles banned at school swimming lessons. Children have been banned from wearing goggles during school swimming lessons for fears they could hurt themselves." I also heard that next they'll ban teaching swimming in water in fear that the kids might get wet.
3. NCAA.com has "Swimming psych sheet released...The NCAA Division II Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving Committee announced the participants in the 2011 NCAA Division II Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving Championships"
4. The Reezy Daily has "More Aaron Okayama photos" of Ryan Lochte. One of them you may recognize from his own twittering of. Is twittering a word?
5. aquAdonis looks at "Legs – Stabilizing Force…We (The Race Club) started a video swim tip series on kicking. This is the 3rd part called “Legs – Stabilizing Force” and features yours truly to the best of my abilities as I’m trying to get back in the pool more often myself. If you want to find out how to improve your kicking skills, I highly suggest to watch all four parts of this special series." If you are like me your legs are actually two lead like objects that sink to the bottom of the pool. So reading articles / watching videos like this is important!
6. RUMOR ALERT! Maybe he's just eating cake to eat cake. But someone was tasting wedding cake! I searched the internet for a quick confirmation story but I've yet to read anything. Hmm...stay alert to twitter!
7. Swim Sally has been posting pictures of pools from all over including her latex "Plantation Resort, Rainbow Beach." She has some great pictures of various pools and beaches. Amazing!
8. Swimming Science continues it's weekly feature this week with "Friday Interview with John Lohn…I recently had a book published, The Historical Dictionary of Competitive Swimming, a reference book through Scarecrow Press." As always it's an interesting read, the article I don't know about the book as I've yet to read it.
9. From the Tisk Tisk File, The Boston Herald reports "Swim coach pleads guilty to porn charges."
10. Can never get enough of these type of stories. From AZ Family "Drunk driver crashes in backyard swimming pool of unlucky home."