Well if I didn't run much this past month I did swim a hell of a lot more! In fact I swam 62,125. I'll have to do some research and check past listings to see if I've ever swam that much in any given month before. I'm guessing it is. Hopefully the yardage will turn into some speed in the pool.
To sum up March all I can say is "at least I'm running again!" After running the Disney World Marathon in January I pretty much stopped running. I ran once after the marathon. Which meant I didn't run for almost two months! I can sit in my chair and type a million excuses on why I didn't run but that is pointless. It's water under the bridge as they say. I'm running now. Not running like I'd like to be but it's a start. In March I ran 36.05 miles. A few of them have been 1 mile warm up's now that I belong to the gym. My longest run was only 5.03 miles. Good thing it's still early in the year and I got several months of running to redeem myself. All I know is that I have many miles to keep up with last years running!
Welcome to day four of toranado / thunder and rain week. Well actually Tuesday turned out to be a nice day. This week has been very stormy here in Central Florida. The last two days we've had non-stop rain, thunder and lightening and torando watches and warnings. All of which has kept everyone indoors. Hell I couldn't even run on the treadmil due to tornado warnings. Well till today! I got up early and hit the gym. Got on the treadmil and ran a short run. It was a short and slow run. I wanted to hit the 7pm Spin / Cycle / Group Ride class and needed to do weights in between so I called it a short run for today. After the run I did arms and chest for weight training. Then spinning class which they call Group Ride at the gym. This is my third one at the new gym and it was by far the best instructor yet. I think her name was Nancy. According to the class list she teaches several classes every week so I'll be arranging my working out around her! I also noticed that the instructor who teaches the class right before her was the one I have liked the least. So now 5:45 Group Ride classes for me!
1. From Athletics Weekly "10 things retired athletes know that active ones don’t." My favorite "10. Save some of all that free gear you constantly give away. It will end."
2. Rob of RobAquatics is at it again playing with new toys. This time Rob gets FINIS SwimSense and blogs about his swim in "I Can’t Be Sick… Not on New Gadget Day!"
3. The hard-hitting Bozeman Daily Chronicle reports on "Masters of the stroke…Welcome to the Montana Masters state swimming championships."
4. More FINIS! From The Finis Blog "Targeting Your Core for Open Water Performance…The idea that a strong core-body is essential to swimming is fairly common knowledge. Having strong core muscles aids swimmers in stabilizing their stroke, keeps the body in a hydrodynamic position, and achieves optimal body rotation."
5. Trisports.com review the blueseventy PZ3TX and they think it's fast!
6. The Australian report that "Eamon Sullivan pins hopes on 100m freestyle title…FORMER world record-holder Eamon Sullivan will do whatever it takes to be ready to defend his national 100m freestyle title from the fastest field assembled in Australia - including sticking needles in himself."
7. Perth Now reports "Swim champion Ian Thorpe claims he can go even faster…AN Thorpe is convinced after six months back in training that he can become a faster swimmer than he used to be. The five-time Olympic gold medallist is targeting a spot on Australia's team for next year's London Games after retiring from the sport in 2006."
8. Third and last FINIS mention for today, The FINIS Blog "Jason Lezak’s Favorite Training Tools." I keep looking at my future purchase of Zoomer Golds or Gold Zoomers so I keep finding stuff about FINIS products to post.
9. About.com looks at "Hydrophobia or Fear of the Water. Turn Hydrophobia Into a Powerful Motivator Rather Than a Painful Deterrent."
Yup! It's a scientific fact that tornedoes can make you fat. Or at least the threat of tornedoes can. See today after my shift I decided to hit the gym. Working out is something I needed to do and also would let me wait out a heavy storm front passing by. A little after 4pm a storm front came by with tornedo warning/watches. So at the gym everyone was glued to the tv's. I strolled by and got on a treadmill. As I was starting it up I was asked not to use the treadmill due to the tornedo. WHAT? They were afraid if I was running and the power went out the treadmilll would have flung my body into thin air and out the window to the street below. So that is why tornedoes are to be blamed for me getting fat! Instead of runing I just did some leg weight training and called it a day. The storm had passed and it was clear outside. Figured I'd head home and pig out. I'll just get up early tomorrow before my morning shift and run on the treadmill and hit a cycle/spin class.
Since I didn't run this morning you'd think kicking would have been a piece of cake this morning. But nope. I was sluggish in kicking and pretty much the whole workout. No speed day! Oh well at least I was swimming.
200 Swim / 200 Pull / 50 Drill / 150 Kick (600)
600 Stretched out by the 3rd lap of each 100 was fast! (600/1200)
6x100's on 1:50 1st one the 1st 50 fast, 2nd one the 2nd 50 fast and the 3rd one all fast. Repeat. The second round faster. (600/1800)
12x50's Switches on 1:10 Fly/Back, Back/Breast, Breast/Free (600/2400)
Total yardage this month is 62,125. I think that will be it for the month for swimming. I'm working a shift tomorrow morning then one in the afternoon so I doubt I'll swim. But by working I'll be that much closer to buying new swim fins!
I had planned on sleeping in on Tuesday and did get an extra hour in which was less then I expected. Since I slept in a bit I skipped swimming in the morning. After work I hit the gym for some arm/chest weight training and a quick 1 mile warm up run on the treadmil. With that out of the way I had planned to run at least 3 miles this morning before swimming but I was tired. So instead of getting up at 5am I got up at 6am. At least I'll go swimming. After work I'll do leg weight training. Maybe log another mile on the treadmil.